Monday 10 November 2014

Awesome Wealthy Woman Asks 'Can Your Money Hear You?'

Do you remember being told as a child, “Don’t speak until you’re spoken to”?

Or maybe, “Children should be seen and not heard”.

Either way, we were taught to believe that what we had to say wasn’t important.

That’s a tough mindset to overcome when we become adults – especially as women. 

We often sublimate our thoughts and feelings, particularly about money and money-related issues.  We believe (mistakenly) that keeping our thoughts to ourselves will allow us to stay on an even keel – not “rock the boat” – and that things will somehow turn out okay.

There are a number of problems with adopting this approach and the one I want to address today is that of not claiming what is ours.

When we give up responsibility for and control of our money, we disempower ourselves.

Maybe you tell yourself that “money is hard” or “I was never good at math” or “I’ll just let my husband take care of everything for me”.

The first statement is not true, if you learn the basics about how to manage money effectively.

The second statement may or may not be true and yet it is a common limiting belief amongst women.

The third statement is nothing more nor less than abdication of your responsibility for your financial knowledge and direction.

You may not have enjoyed sitting through math class.  I forced myself to take math in high school, even after it became an ‘option’ as opposed to a required course, simply to give myself the discipline to work with the numbers and understand what was going on.

The real issue here, as I have talked about many times, is your relationship with your money.

What is money hearing from you?

If you tell it, “You’re hard” or “I’m not good at being with you” or “I’m going to send you away to someone else to take care of”, what do you think your money is hearing?

It’s hearing – GO AWAY!!! 

It’s hearing – I’m afraid of you, I can’t cope with you, I don’t know what to do with you…

And you know what?  It does exactly what you tell it to do – it goes away.

So, how can you be surprised when you look up and say, “I don’t have any money”?  when you’re the one who sent it away?

Starting today, I want you to really begin to treat your money as if it was another human being.

Make it feel welcome.  Celebrate its arrival.  Invite it to come and spend more time with you.  Treat your money as if it were an honored guest in your life.

Be certain that what money hears from you is, “I’m happy you’re here with me” and “I’m so excited about the wonderful things we can do together” and “I’m so grateful to be able to share you with others”.

Changing the way you think about money and your relationship with it can be a struggle at first and there are many tools and strategies available to  support you in making this vital change.

If connecting with me for assistance in shifting your money relationship (and conversation) feels right for you, please call me at 705.881.1846 or 1.844.881.1846 or email me at Patti@AwesomeWealthyWoman.com and I would be delighted to speak with you personally.


“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” ~ William Arthur Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment