Monday 20 October 2014

Awesome Wealthy Woman Asks “Do You Measure Your Success With Money?”

Many years ago, I was between jobs and answered an ad for what was, essentially, a direct sales position.

After completing an extensive testing session, I was finally admitted to the office of the man who was to interview me for the job.

He flipped through the pages of the test, asking me all sorts of questions - which gave me more of an insight into the way he and his company functioned (not so much interested in personal integrity) than perhaps he gleaned from my answers.

Finally, he paused and looked at me with a furrowed brow and said, “You’ve rated yourself as a success on this question…but you’re not working…how can you call yourself a success?”

I was stunned.

Was his sole definition of success the amount of money someone earned?

What about the contributions I had made to past employers and clients?

What about the community work I had been involved in?

What about the continuing education courses I had pursued?

Did these have no value?

I knew right then that this was NOT the job, nor the company, for me and I left.  I was not prepared to compromise my personal integrity and I knew that my decision was absolutely the right one.  I wasted no time moving on in my job search.

Over the years, I have met many people who define themselves – and their success - solely by the amount of money that they earn.  They are often unhappy with that amount and don’t see how they can change it (if they are working for someone else).

This usually leads to a discussion about the difference between worth and value.

From the moment you are born into this world, you are intrinsically worthy.  You don’t have to “do” anything to be worthy.  

Value is what we offer through the goods and services that we provide, whether to an employer (as one of their employees) or our clients, if we are business owners.

Although you may not receive multiple 6-figures for the value that you contribute, that doesn’t mean that you’re not worthy and it certainly doesn’t mean that you’re not successful.

Money is only one measure of the contribution that we make in the world and our belief about what it says about us is purely subjective.

If you want to understand what truly reflects your level of success in life, ask the people you know how what you do contributes to their lives and the lives of others.

Do you help them accomplish a goal?

Do you help them alleviate pain (emotional, physical and/or spiritual)?

Do you do something which they can’t do for themselves?

Do you help them to grow?

Do you help them to feel better about themselves?

Money is an important factor, but it is not the only indicator of your success. 

The truth is, when you do work and provide service that is in alignment with the highest good for your clients or customers, co-workers and colleagues and yourself, you are a success.

If you want to increase the amount of money you receive, increase the value you deliver first…and the money will follow.

Are you interested in learning more about the difference between worth and value and how these two are manifesting in your life?

If connecting with me for assistance feels right for you, please call me at 705.881.1846 or 1.844.881.1846 or email me at Patti@AwesomeWealthyWoman.com and I would be delighted to speak with you personally.



“Yesterday I was clever.  I wanted to change the world.  Today I am wise.  I am changing myself.” ~ Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment